Monday 27 February 2012

TAG, YOU’RE IT

P K Hrezo at http://pk-hrezo.blogspot.com/ has just tagged me after being tagged herself by Courtney Pearson at Writer By Day, Mother Always, so in my turn I am tagging YOU!

Here are the questions:

1 PLOTTER OR PANSTER

Not sure what panster means, if I am honest. I plan where the story will end up, I suppose a string of scenes then when I write I let the character navigate their way from one to the other. I find that the character will act in ways I would never have thought of. Usually stories will arrive as a scene or an idea that I can develop.

2 WHO IS YOUR FAVOURITE CHARACTER AND WHY?

This is difficult, Sherlock Holmes springs to mind, Mendoza in Kage Baker’s majestic series, The Company, and Travis McGee. I know he’s a creature of his time, the 1960’s but there is a nobility about him, you know he will do the right thing. The other would be Gatsby, I find Gatsby to be such a well realised character.

3 NAME TWO THINGS WITHIN REACH

Tea cup full of pu erh tea and my mobile phone.

4 IF YOU COULD GO BACK AND DO ANYTHING AGAIN WHAT WOULD IT BE?

Nothing, life unfolds as it does, things happen and we learn from them.

5. A DATE WITH A CELEBRITY, WHO WOULD YOU PICK?

Leonard Cohen. I have been greatly influenced by Mr Cohen for most of my life.

6. WHAT’S YOUR FAVOURITE SONG?

Most difficult, possibly If It Be Your Will, by afore mentioned Mr Cohen, Red Right Ankle by The Decemberists, These Foolish Things by Billie Holiday (1936 version), The Trip by Art Pepper, Duke Ellington playing Lotus Blossom (the version on the original release of And His Mother Called Him Bill), oh the list is too long.

7. WHAT GENRE DO YOU WRITE IN?

I write poetry, first and foremost, the other ghetto I slave away in is science fiction. The prebook of my graphic novel sequence CO2 was just launched at the Cardiff Comic Expo.

8. FAVOURITE THING YOU DO OTHER THAN WRITING

Cooking, I am a reasonable vegetarian cook, I find it relaxing, I make my own bread, pasta, wine and I just branching into beer.

9. THE COOLEST THING YOU’VE EVER DONE?.

Watching my children being born.

10. COOLEST PLACE YOU’VE EVER BEEN?

Interesting... Barcelona, I go a lot and know people there. Barcelona is the coolest city on earth, the Catalans are a very cool people, I love the place.

11. FAVOURITE QUOTE?

“And in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make” Beatles or “The glass is failing, hour by hour, the glass will fall forever, but if you break the bloody glass you won’t hold up the weather.” Louis MacNeice- Bagpipe Music

Now either reply in Comments or tell me that you've tagged and leave your url. I shall look and comment at all.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Paul! SOrry I'm just now getting over! Been delayed by life. :s

    But I agree! Barcelona is amazing. Such a great city! I have a framed artwork of Sagrada Familia in my house... always a conversation piece.

    Great to learn more about you! And plotter or pantser just means do you plan it out in advance? Or do you write by the seat of your pants?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Pk. It was a fun thing to do. I imagine you are correct about pantser, I probably do both.

    ReplyDelete