Friday 29 July 2011

SOME TIPS


I was planning the poetry workshop I am running at the Cock & Bull Festival this Saturday and I got to thinking about writing tips as I wanted to give those attending as much information as I could.
This is what I came up with:
o Always have paper and a pen on you for when inspiration strikes. This does not have to be a full blown concept; it could be a line or an idea, a snippet of conversation or something written on a wall. (The front cover of my book came from a piece of graffiti on the entrance to a Metro in Barcelona. I get lots of ideas as I do other things; the secret is to write them down.)
o No matter how amazing your first draft is, revise it. Then revise it some more.
o Be critical, ask yourself what does this poem say? Is it clear to you? If not revise it some more.
o Read it out aloud, better still get someone to read it for you, think about how it sounds.
o Never be too in love with a line. Sometimes you have to take out your favourite line because it doesn’t fit-save it, you may be able to use it elsewhere.
o Look at your poem and think does it still work if I take this word out? Remove any excess words. Make it lean.
o Then leave it alone for a week or two-if you can. Time grants a more critical eye.
o Show it to people, join a writing group, get feedback and learn to structure your opinions. Get a writing buddy, so you can give and get constructive feedback on your work.
o Read as much poetry as you can. Not just the poets you already like with but different ones. Get an anthology and read a poem a day. Pay attention to how the poets structure their work; ask yourself what you can learn from each one as you read it.
o Look at different poetical forms (rondels, villanelles, and tankas are just some you could explore) then try to write your own. You don’t have to show them to anyone but it will give you insight into the poetical process.
o Lastly just keep writing.
This is the best information I can give. I’d be interested in hearing your pointers and tips.
Here’s a link which might be useful :
Have a good weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment