Friday 3 June 2011

PURBECK FESTIVAL POET

I have got the gig as the Festival Poet at this year’s Purbeck Folk Festival (26-28 August). It is the third year that the festival has run and it continues to go from strength to strength. Set in the beautiful Dorset countryside, this is a friendly, intimate festival. Here is the url: http://www.purbeckfolk.co.uk/ . Last year The Independent described it as “a gem of a festival” and I’d have to agree. Tickets are £65 and available via the website.

There is a strong line up that includes headliners Seth Lakeman, Po’ Girl and Uiscedwr (this is to be their final gig I am told). I’ve been to both of the previous festivals and heard some amazing music. Lizzie Nunnery delivered a sterling set last year and Company of Ghosts was for me one of the best albums of last year. You can look at her website here: http://www.lizzienunnery.co.uk/

I’m looking forward to seeing Emily Portman, her album The Glamoury was one I kept going back to last year. The Carravick Sisters are also on my to see list and I’m enjoying the Not made in China ep at the moment.

What will I be doing you ask? Well, I shall be running two poetry workshops and presenting the results of this on the Open Mic Stage on the Sunday. I want to try and capture the essence of the festival in its many facets and to do this I shall be talking to everyone I can about their experience, what makes the festival special for them. I shall also be reading around the festival site.

If you are there, find me and present me with the voucher below and you can have your own personal poetry recital!



Poem me Paul!

This voucher can be exchanged for one poem

between the hours of 10 am & 10pm.

Recitals to take place out of earshot the stages


Purbeck is easily the best small festival I have been to, last year I think there were about 800 people. It never felt crowded or noisy, and the beer was good. This year promises to be the best yet; you can camp for four nights in the beautiful Dorset countryside and hear three days of quality music (and poetry!), all for £65.

If you have a emusic subscription then you can download the artists before the festival and have a good listen. I’ve put a list together of music by the people who will be appearing, you can look at it here:

http://www.emusic.com/profile/lists/showlist.html?nickname=anorak&lid=48377590&p=

I am excited by the challenge of capturing such a lively event on paper. Come along and have a great time.

No comments:

Post a Comment